Charlotte was "Star of the Week" last week…it is something her school does, where each week one child in each class is the center of attention. Basically, the child has family members come in, makes a poster all about them, makes an estimation jar and mystery box, and gets special treatment haha. Charlotte was most excited about wearing a crown and getting to sit in the big rocking chair every day :)
I was working the first day of her week, so Mamie went into school with her. Mamie was going to read her a book, but they ended up just going over her poster with the class and doing the estimation jar (we had put Hershey's kisses in the jar). Oh, and they ate munchkins from Dunkin Donuts…mmmmm.
Here is the poster hanging at the front of the classroom.
And a close-up
Love that she included Henry, Mr. Ferrone and Ms. Geraci as her friends haha. And she said she wants to be a doctor when she grows up…that was the first I had heard about that, but we certainly could use a doctor in our family in this next generation, so I am all for it :)
Tuesday I went in and spent the morning with the class. We did all of the clues in the mystery box, and then Mr. Ferrone said I could stay for their lesson and "centers". I ended up staying for about 2.5 hours! During the lesson (on the letters K and H), Charlotte sat on my lap in the big rocking chair and proceeded to puff throughout the lesson haha. Wish that was a joke :)
After the lesson, I gave the kids fruit salad (which they devoured, surprisingly!) and then we moved on to centers…Mr. Ferrone actually asked me to help with the segment, helping the kids write a sentence about a short TV clip they saw. Putting me right to work!
I couldn't go Wed or Thursday because I had Henry with me and then a doctor's appointment, but I sent in snacks and Charlotte had a wonderful time being the center of attention.
On Friday, Jon and I went in…all week Charlotte had been begging Jon to read the Brave book about Merida in his silly Scottish accent. And of course, he obliged. And I got it all on video :)
My favorite part is how hard Charlotte laughs at him. They all got such a kick out of it.
We also brought in mini-cupcakes with pink icing, because it was "Pink" day at the school. Gosh, look at me just tying everything in together! Ha.
So that was her special week. She really was so excited the entire week. At night, instead of singing "Happy Birthday" when I tuck her in, as usual, I had to sing "Happy Star of the Week" haha. Too cute.
Love that Charlotte still isn't embarrassed by us, but realize it is only a matter of time…this time next year and she would probably die if we did any of this in front of her friends/classmates! :)
Oh, and I could NEVER EVER EVER EVER in a million years be a kindergarten teacher!!!! I swear, I don't know how these people have the patience…for every minute he spent teaching, he spent 4 minutes saying things like, "Malachi, get your hands out of Ryan's pants…that is highly inappropriate", and things of that nature. Ahhh, 5 year olds--good times!
Xoxoxo



0 comments:
Post a Comment