Jon and I were invited to a costume party at Joe & Daiva's apartment this year. We honestly haven't dressed up since a party we went to a few weeks after our wedding 9 years ago, so we had nothing to wear. I tried to find something at costume stores, and it is impossible to find a women's costume that isn't designed to make you look like a slut. Sorry, but it's true haha. It isn't like you can be an angel, because the costume is "slutty angel", or a flapper or nurse or someone from the 80s, because all of the outfits are cut to about 1/4" above your butt. Interesting conundrum for a pregnant woman haha. So this is what we ended up with…a priest and a (pregnant) nun. Not as exciting as I would have liked, but my options were very limited :)
Here are some of the spooky appetizers!
I think Jon actually looks like a priest in this picture :)
For the kids, Halloween is the "holiday" that never ends…I think they started making Halloween crafts at school in mid-September. For Henry, though, it is kind of difficult…he hates characters, he hates anyone dressed up as, say--Minnie Mouse, or any mascots or whatever. So every time I would ask him what he was going to be for Halloween, he answered, "I am NOT dressing up!". We went shopping for a costume weeks before Halloween, and he picked out a Mike the Knight costume, but then he insisted he wasn't going to wear it. So it was touch & go there for a while…I honestly didn't think he would dress up at all. But 2 days before Halloween he told me he wanted to be a "construction man", so thanks to Amazon Prime, I was able to fast track a costume to our doorstep :)
The night before Halloween, they went to a party at Henry's school. They did (more) Halloween arts & crafts, dressed up, and had a pizza party. Here are the kids going into the party…Henry the "construction man", and Charlotte as Merida, from the movie "Brave". As usual, Henry was thrilled to pose for pictures :)
The next day was Halloween, and Henry had a parade in the morning. Once again, I wasn't sure he would put on his costume, but surprisingly, he was totally fine.
And he even stood still for a few min so I could take some pictures of him :)
Then Maddy arrived, and he even let me take some pictures of both of them! So unlike him haha
Cozying up to her :)
And then the kids went into school, and we all assembled outside for the parade. Here comes Henry's class!
And here comes Henry…running right for mommy!
And the crying began when I hugged him and then told him to get back on line for the parade, so poor Mrs. Donohue picked him up and was carrying him
But he was NOT a happy camper
And he continued to cry hysterically…I ended up taking him from Mrs. Donohue so she could walk with the rest of the kids, and I held him and walked the rest of the way with him crying haha. She tried to take him back for a class picture…FAIL :)
In retrospect, I should've realized why he was so upset…there was a teacher dressed as the Cookie Monster, and a few other costumes like that, and as I went with him inside to the party, he was screaming, "get it away from me! get it away from me!". Poor kid was terrified. And it took about 20 min for him to calm down…long after everyone had taken their costumes off, and started the party, he was still crying and clinging to me. But the teachers were able to lure him away, finally, which was good because I had to run to pick up Charlotte (they had early dismissal)!
So I got Charlotte, then went back to pick up Henry, so she was able to see some of her nursery school teachers. To say that she was excited was an understatement! She couldn't wipe the smile off of her face, and she just kept on hugging them…too sweet. So we all get home, have lunch, I put Henry to bed, and then we had to get Charlotte dressed and ready for her parade. So we went to Clare's house to walk over with them, and just as we were leaving it started to rain. Lightly, but still--not ideal. Luckily it didn't stop any of the festivities, although I heard quite a few parents saying they wouldn't mind a downpour to cut down on the the trick or treating haha. Here are some pics of Charlotte's parade…much different experience than Henry's :)
Here comes Mr. Ferrone!
My love
Just a little bit excited!
Then Charlotte went in to her party, I went home and woke up Henry, then we went back to pick her up and get ready for trick or treating. We got him dressed, waited for Clare & Maddy, and then went out yet again...
Guess who wasn't interested in pictures? Haha
I wanted a group shot…Henry told me he was "hugging the pumpkins" haha. Typical
At Martha's house
Henry was, not surprisingly, a hoarder/thief…he would go up and try to grab like 60 pieces of candy out of each bowl. I had to follow him up to make sure he wasn't clearing everyone out of all of their candy haha. He did eventually get the hang of "trick or treat", and saying "thank you" at every house, but he also told a few people "Happy Birthday!" as they opened the door…hysterical.
We eventually met up with Jon and John, and so we ended up staying out pretty late (for us!). The kids loved the decorations at this house...
So shy haha
Cuties
And here is a picture of both of my loves
I can't tell you how exhausted I was at the end of the night. I had been back and forth from all of the schools 8+ times, there was just so much running around…I was SOOOOOOO glad when the kids went to sleep for the night haha. And we had enough candy for an army, so Jon and I helped ourselves to the good stuff :)
Xoxoxo



0 comments:
Post a Comment