Friday, October 7, 2011

Such a big girl!

Charlotte and Henry had to get their flu shots this week…usually, that would mean Charlotte would begin to have a full blown meltdown as we went into the doctor’s office. This time, I told her Henry had to get a needle as we were driving there…she asked if she had to get one, and I said “I’m not sure…we will have to ask Dr. McCarthy” (slight fib). She said, “well, if I do, I’m not going to cry”. Sure, Charlotte…I’ve heard that before.

So we go into the room, and the nurse said “you can get THEM undressed”…Charlotte, who clearly isn’t missing a single word, has now realized she is getting a shot too. If she weren’t already crying at this point, this would typically be her cue. But no, my BIG girl unstrapped herself from the stroller, unbuttoned her sweater and took it off…so she could get her shot!!! Making it easy for the doctor to give her a needle?! Who is this child???

Henry went first and cried only for a minute…a Ritz cracker very quickly made everything okay. And then it was Charlotte’s turn. She asked me to hold her, and was so incredibly brave…she didn’t cry until the absolute last second (truth be told, I may have cried too…the doctor was shaking the needle trying to make sure she got all of the medicine in…can’t say I blame her). And then she stopped immediately. Unheard of. And for that, she got a lollipop :)

It was a totally different experience for me too. As I told my mom, it was the first time I walked out of the doctor’s office not in a full blown sweat. It was kind of nice actually!

Here are some recent pictures of me and my big girl (we always send daddy a picture of us when she wakes up from her nap)

photo14

photo21

And speaking of big girls…Aunt Jessica came to visit last week, and Charlotte wanted to draw Dave a picture. Unbelievably, this is what she made him:

photo11

Now, I kind of think it was a fluke. She usually draws “H” when she tries to draw an “A”…so she made the “H” and then she made the straight line (which we interpret as an “I”, of course). Not sure what she was trying to draw, but I’m guessing it wasn’t intentional, haha. And then Jess said “draw an exclamation point”, and she did! Not too shabby :)

Another thing Charlotte has taken to doing is calling me “mom”. Not “mommy”, just “mom”. It sounds like she is 16 years old, and I don’t like it. And she knows that, so she just keeps on calling me “mom” unnecessarily. Like, “why are you saying that mom?”, “I love you mom”, “what are we doing today mom?”. Literally 600 times within an hour. Kind of funny, because I like that she is teasing me in her own little way. But it also makes me sad because she seems so old :(

Okay, off to watch tv and relax for a bit!

Xoxoxo

0 comments: